Game Ranger Course
This 10-day game ranger course offers a unique opportunity to learn a variety of skills from experienced rangers that will enhance your knowledge and appreciation of wildlife, conservation and the African bush. The course incorporates unique opportunities for participants to engage in practical hands-on activities whilst being immersed in the African bush.
Our base for this course is a traditional tented safari camp situated in a secluded location in the reserve away from the tourism hub. The camp is supplied with running water communal showers and eco-loos. Practical working clothes, a comfortable pair of walking shoes and a pair of binoculars are essential equipment for this experience.
Day 1: Arrive at King Shaka International Airport
An African Insight representative will meet you on arrival for the Game Ranger Course at Durban's King Shaka International Airport. Participants must land no later than 12h00. The road transfer to Somkhanda Game Reserve is a 4-hour drive. Upon arrival at Somkhanda, we settle in and have a brief introduction to the Ranger Course as well as an overview of the itinerary for the next few days.
The evening will be spent around the campfire which provides the perfect opportunity to get to know one another.
Days 2 - 8: Somkhanda Game Reserve
Participants will take part in daily 3 hours Bush Walks during which an overall understanding of some of the basic skills sets which a Game Ranger is required to master will be learned, such as:
- Tracking, signs and spoor identification
- Mammal Biology and identification
- Bird Identification
- Tree and plant identification
The rest of the day will be spent learning the practical ranger and game reserve management skills through hands-on involvement and discussion. These includes:
- Game capture and other population control measures
- Eco-tourism vs. hunting in conservation Veld management
- Wilderness survival skills and first aid
- Poaching and counter poaching techniques
Day 9: Wrap-up and Evaluation
After breakfast, there will be an optional assessment where the participants will be assessed on all the modules covered during the week.
After lunch, we have a final wrap-up and feedback session followed by a final afternoon Sunset Drive.
Day 10: Depart
After breakfast, we transfer back to Durban airport for your return flight home or for those opting to see more there are optional extras
- Next Starting Date: 5 April 2017
- Accommodation Type: Tented camp and Shared ablutions
- Meals: Ingredients are provided and meals will be cooked by participants
- Price:EUR 1040USD 1165GBP 875ZAR 13 650
There is a strong possibility that there will be Game Ranger Course participants from both local and international backgrounds
All meals are provided with the exception of lunch on the first and last day of the course
- Accommodation in Mobile Tented Camp
- Ablutions (showers & flush toilets)
- Guides / facilitators
- Transport (Durban airport return)
- All meals except lunch on days 1 & 10
- Entrance fees
- Additional / optional activities
- Lunch on Days 1 & 10
- Items of a personal nature
The reserve is remote, and therefore participants arrivals are coordinated to save on transport costs. Arrival is at Durban International airport and the transfer to Somkhanda Game Reserve leaves at 10h00. Overnight accommodation arrangements can be made on request).
Transport is provided to departing participants back to Durban International Airport and will drop off at 15h00.
- 5 April - 18 April
- 19 June - 2 July
- 21 August - 3 September